יום שלישי, 7 ביוני 2011

Jitterbug Perfume

Jitterbug Perfume is too clever for its own sake, too new age for my sake and too long for anybody's sake.
It's quite funny at parts, but I'm much a bigger fan of somewhat similar in style Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Hunter Thompson and a few others. I also like my books with a much reduced dosage of lecturing. In terms of writing when Robbins gets a hold on his clever bone he is ok, but the book still has oh-so-many plot lines that come off into nothing really exciting. It feels as if they are playing the mortar bits for all that preaching that goes on.
It is true that I have something anti-New-Age. This is not because of basic assumptions, or at least the more bluntly obvious ones. "Control your thoughts and you can control everything": Instead of arguing about its truth or falseness I would rather discuss the nature of this statement. For some reason this sentence is regarded as optimistic which seems to me to be, at the least, necessary of justification. Thoughts are not as that easily manipulated. The problem remains - humans are social beings. Our thoughts, so to speak, are not just our own. In short, The Matrix seems problematic without a V for Vendetta.
As Phoebe says after kissing Rachel - "I've had better". (Yey for me another Friends quote)

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה